Before you get started, consider the height at which you’re going to split your wall. Dividing lines at picture rail or dado height nod to period features but in a contemporary way. Or you can think about the function of the room and the furniture that will occupy it, creating a line to a frame a bed or sofa and create a strong and cohesive look.
Here’s how to transform your room with our simple step-by-step guide:
You will need:
• A tin of each of your chosen paint colours
• A roller and tray
• Measuring tape
• Masking tape
• Paint brushes
- Choose your base.
- Narrowed it down to a few shades? Try them out with our mess-free and easy-to-use testers to select your perfect colour combination.
- Apply your main colour first, we’ve used Tranquil Dawn, Colour of the Year 2020. Once the paint is completely dry, you’re ready to create your split wall.
- Chalk your line by measuring down from the ceiling and marking a few dashed pencil lines using the tape measure. Next, rub chalk along a length of string. Stretch the string across the wall and secure it with masking tape at each end. Check the string is straight, then ping it to leave a chalk line across the wall.
- Apply a strip of masking tape below the bottom line of chalk.
- Apply your second panel of paint and for a perfect finish, go just over the edge of the masking tape.
- Wait until the paint is still slightly wet, then peel away the masking tape to reveal your two-tone wall.
Need some more inspiration? Explore the beautiful colour combinations at work in these split-wall spaces:
In the cool, industrial-inspired living room, a palette of offbeat pastels, including soft pink and our 2020 Colour of the Year, Tranquil Dawn, introduce an airy element and create an inspiring split-effect combination for a living room.
To make the most of the high ceiling and fashionably low-slung sofa, the wall has been divided at a low level to create a stylishly laid-back atmosphere. Unfussy forms and comfortable seating in tactile wool combined with functional metal pieces and lush green plants create an ultra-relaxed space for modern living.