A clear and tidy space makes decorating significantly less stressful, as you don’t have to worry about things getting in the way or being damaged during the process.
• Remove accessories and furniture and take down curtains and blinds.
• Loosen or tape around electrical cover plates on switches and outlets.
• Unscrew or tape over any window and door hardware, such as locks, handles and knobs.
• Place a plastic dust sheet on the floor and on any remaining furniture that needs protecting.
Before you open any tins of paint, it’s important to make sure all your surfaces are clean and smooth.
• If there are any gaps or cracks in your walls, ceiling or woodwork, fill them using a filling knife and the correct filler for the surface from the Polyfilla range.
• Once all cracks and holes are filled and dried, it’s time to sand. Using sandpaper and a block, gently sand down any places you’ve filled and any woodwork you’ll be painting, like skirting or door frames.
• Lastly, wipe down surfaces to remove any dust and avoid dirt sticking to your freshly painted areas.