Kids with a love of exploring have always loved space, and research suggests that even thinking about space can help encourage their imagination. This room is a fantastic way to inspire your child and get them to begin wondering about the world around them.
Difficulty: 2 out of 5
Time: weekendDownload step-by-step guide
Space is an infinitely fascinating and inspiring subject matter, so encourage your little cosmonauts’ curiosity with a room that’s full of wonder. A bedroom that’s out of this earth will also help them to dream big – you never know, they may even get the stars in their sights.
It may be the final frontier of bedroom design, but this galactic paint-effect isn’t rocket science. Read on for our step-by-step instructions:
2) Make sure everything you don’t want covered in splashes of paint is masked off; dust sheeted over and protected – including yourself (wear old clothes, protective goggles and an old hat!)
4) Use the colours one at a time, starting with Striking Cyan. Dip a small paintbrush into the paint and then hold it in front of the black wall. Sharply tap the paintbrush against the handle of another paint brush and send the paint spattering onto the wall to create a galaxy effect.
6) Run a bit of White Cotton along the edge of a folded piece of paper to make the odd star look like they are twinkling.
7) Pick out a few stars and make them bigger by adding some more white paint on the end of a cotton bud.
8) Allow to dry and prepare for launch…
You will need:
- Rich Black paint (enough to paint the mural wall)
- Lost Lake paint (enough for the remaining walls and ceiling)
- 250ml tester pot of Purple Pout
- 250ml tester pot of Striking Cyan
- 250ml tester pot of White Cotton
- 4 x Dulux 2” brushes
- 4 x Dulux 1” brushes
- Small artist's brush
- 4 x car sponges (dense foam)
- Dust sheets
- Small stepladder – preferably one that has a grab handle and will allow you to reach the ceiling
- A folded piece of paper
- Bed cover, John Lewis
- Quilt, Great Little Trading Co.
- Moon wall light, John Lewis
- Moon side lamp, Totally Funky
- Globe, Stylist's own
- Book, Stylist's own
- Telescope, Totally Funky
- Side table light, Ikea
- Pod chair, Ikea
- Trainer, Primark
- Orange cushion, Ikea
- Divan bed, Hire
- Boulder cushion, Bespoke
- Rug, Hire
- Rubix cube, Stylist's own
- Sand timers, Stylist's own
- Blind, Ikea
Roll up! Roll up! And find out just how to transform your child’s room into this circus-inspired big top.
Take your kid on a decorating adventure and turn their room into a jungle-themed escape, perfect for budding explorers.
Set your child’s imagination free and bring their favourite tales to life with this fantastic storybook-themed bedroom.
On your marks, get set, transform! If your kid is a budding athlete, then this sport theme is just the ticket.
The positive impact of involving kids in decor decisions
One day, while she was at school, Frankie’s parents revamped her room and painted it pink. The only thing is, Frankie hates pink. So we set our designer the challenge of helping to bring Frankie’s dream room to life. Together they came up with a magical, under the sea world (what else?) – with not a speck of pink to be seen. Find out what happened when we revealed her new-look room…Find out more